The key concern of Tobacco Control is always to offer a forum for research, analysis, commentary, and debate on policies, programmes, and methods which are prone to further the objectives of a comprehensive tobacco control policy. The introduction should indicate why the research reported or issues discussed are important in terms of controlling tobacco use, and the discussion section should include an analysis of how the research reported contributes to tobacco control objectives in papers submitted for review.
Documents firmly anchored to a policy that is strategic programme context are more inclined to be accepted for publication. Given that log seeks to attain a worldwide readership, writers should think about whether their intended submissions target dilemmas or themes, that are probably be of great interest to scientists doing work in other countries. Extremely parochial problems, that have few classes for tobacco control policy outside a paper’s local context, are not likely to be provided with priority that is high. The manuscripts editors will generally speaking perhaps maybe not provide high priority to:
- Studies of smoking cigarettes prevalence and its own correlates. These are most suitable to journals that are national. Few individuals residing outside a national country have an interest in whether that nation has 30% or 35% of smokers.
- Knowledge, attitudes, behaviour (KAB) studies of particular populace teams or health care professionals. Once more, they are better suited to national journals or even to wellness speciality that is professional. Few individuals in other countries will tend to be enthusiastic about (for instance) whether nurses in a hospital that is regional thinking about helping patients quit. Nationwide studies, and people using such studies into initial areas are of more interest.
- Reports that evoke unanimous “so what?” responses from the editors. They are papers with findings that seem to hold no importance that is obvious changing policy or training in tobacco control. They frequently show methodological finery, but don’t take us anywhere essential or interesting.
- Advice pieces where in actuality the views are unoriginal, badly argued, naive or neglect for crucial issues that are ethical favor of sloganeering.
- Documents that show the writers have not exposed Tobacco Control nor comprehend its main concentrate on tobacco control in place of on tobacco and its particular use and health effects. We have been thinking about such papers, but as long as their writers address the implications of these findings for tobacco control.
- Papers with glaringly apparent, fatal methodological dilemmas.
- Documents on subjects that want extremely technical or discipline-specific language not likely to be grasped because of the almost all readers.
- Documents that are replications of already well-established findings or provide little new information.
- Regional studies in which the implications for the journal’s audience that is international ambiguous.
- Reports written for governments or regional wellness authorities that someone thought could be offered an instant make-over and presented as a log paper.
Tobacco Control adheres into the greatest requirements concerning its editorial policies on book ethics, medical misconduct, permission and peer review criteria. To look at all BMJ Journal policies please reference the BMJ Author Hub policies web web page.
Articles are posted under a special licence or non-exclusive licence for British Crown workers or where BMJ has agreed CC BY applies. The terms are as stated in accordance with our licence terms for US Federal Government officers or employees acting as part of their official duties. Writers or their employers retain copyright. Start access articles may be reused beneath the regards to the appropriate innovative Commons licence to facilitate reuse associated write my paper online with the content; please relate to the Tobacco Control Author Licence when it comes to Creative that is applicable commons.
Tobacco industry funded work
Tobacco Control will perhaps not start thinking about for book documents reporting work funded, in entire or perhaps in component, by way of a tobacco business or tobacco industry company. Nor will the consider that is journal by writers whom accept tobacco industry financing, including financing for research expenses, for many or element of any author’s income, or other types of individual remuneration. For more info, please check this out editorial offering the thinking behind the journal’s policy. Failure to declare contending passions at distribution, or whenever a write-up is commissioned, may result in instant rejection regarding the paper. If your contending interest comes to light after book, Tobacco Control will issue an official modification to or retraction for the entire paper, as appropriate.
Material previously published online
Tobacco Control is prepared to think about documents based wholly or in part on product previously posted on the web. Nevertheless writers must look into an editorial with this topic: Prior book on line: brand brand brand new log policy. The editor keeps the customary straight to make changes however you like of course essential to reduce, using the approval for the author(s), product accepted for publication. Any written or material that is illustrative happens to be posted elsewhere needs to be duly recognized and combined with the penned consent regarding the copyright owner (this can be the publisher as opposed to the writer).
Under unique circumstances the place where a paper’s findings have actually immediately appropriate policy implications warranting urgent publication, manuscripts are fast tracked prior to the normal queue of documents. In the event which you feel you feel it is of sufficient importance to be handled urgently that you have good reasons why this is true for your paper, please detail these in a cover letter, explaining the importance of your work for the field and the reason. This demand will not guarantee that the editors will agree, and just a few papers per year will soon be expedited with this basis, nonetheless it can help the editors to judge the paper’s value when you look at the present context.
Formatting, terms and revised manuscripts
Documents on e cigarettes should utilize the term ‘electronic cigarettes’ on very first usage, and after that the abbreviation ‘e-cigarettes’ may be utilized. Papers on other delivery that is nicotine may continue steadily to utilize the term ‘electronic nicotine distribution systems’ accompanied by the abbreviation ‘ENDS’ after first use.
Whenever uploading a revised manuscript, writers must also consist of a split manuscript file showcasing the tracked changes to exhibit the editors the huge difference through the past variation. The tracked modifications document must be uploaded as a supplementary file.
Analysis gu > that is reporting
BMJ calls for conformity towards the reporting that is following. Please upload the appropriate finished list for your submission to your study type, and label it “Research checklist”. If no appropriate list can be acquired for the research kind, this is often suggested in the submission type.
CONSORT statement – necessary for all randomised managed studies
PRISMA statement – necessary for all systematic reviews
EVEREST statement – Required for many financial evaluations
STARD statement – Required for many diagnostic research papers
STROBE statement – necessary for all observational studies
SQUIRE statement – Required for many quality improvement studies
Guidance and kinds can be found from EQUATOR.
We video that is welcome to come with accepted research articles. These allow authors to physically talk through their work beyond the limitations of the formal article to improve the user’s understanding. Note you to consider submitting a video abstract until your paper has been accepted that we will not ask. Please don’t try to upload a video clip abstract upon initial submission of the manuscript.
There are numerous tutorials online which could guide the creation of a video clip abstract, using commonly and sometimes software that is freely available. Windows film Maker and Apple iMovie would be the many examples that are common. Samples of movie abstracts can be found from The BMJ. Listed here are a guidelines that are few making a video clip abstract. Writers could also wish to ask their institution’s press/media workplace for help.
- Movie abstracts must not stay longer than 4 moments.
- The information and concentrate regarding the video clip must connect straight to the research which has been accepted for book, and really should maybe perhaps not stray beyond the info. We suggest which you proceed with the same framework while the paper itself in other words. briefly outline the background/context for the research, provide your quest goal, outline the strategy utilized, provide the main element outcomes and then talk about the implications for the results.
- The presentation and content associated with the video clip must certanly be in a method plus in terms which is understandable and available to a broad medical market. The primary language should be English, but we welcome subtitles an additional language. Please avoid jargon that’ll not be acquainted to an extensive audience that is medical nor utilize abbreviations.
- Writers frequently talk straight into the digital digital camera and/or provide a slideshow, but we enable the usage of other appropriate artistic and material that is audiosuch as for example animations, videos, nevertheless photographs, figures, infographics). Should you want to utilize product from formerly posted work or off their sources, please receive the appropriate permissions through the appropriate publisher or copyright owner.